So Bunbury kicked off without a hitch yesterday, at least from the perspective of an attendee. The sound was great at every stage, there were plenty (and I do mean PLENTY) of beer tents, water was cheap (only $2 for a 20 oz Aquafina at a festival?? what world am I living in?), festival organizers are reporting 15,000 attended, and oh yeah – there was a great lineup.
Highlight for me was All Get Out, who I’ve been wanting to see since last year’s The Season came out, and they didn’t disappoint. Theirs was probably the most emotional set of the day. Check out the video below of lead singer Nathan Hussey singing a capella and wishing a fan happy birthday. (It’s not sideways, I promise.)
Chappo took my number two spot. I really had no idea what to expect with them because their lead single, “Come Home”, is so much different from the rest of their album. Their live performance leans toward what the rest of the album is like – weird and crazy but damn if it isn’t fun. Check out the photoset below to see a bit of what I’m talking about.
Tips if you’re going to Bunbury today:
- Download the Bunbury App for your smartphone. You’ll have the whole schedule and map right at your fingertips.
- Eat a Jameson Burger from the Claddagh’s Irish Pub tent in Craft Beer Village. It’s only $6 and it’s delicious.
- Beer is $5/pint no matter whether you buy – Hudepohl/Moerlein or Budweiser – so drink something good. Gosh.
- Bring sunscreen. I know it’s supposed to rain, but…well, trust me on this one.
- See Imagine Dragons at 5:15 at the Bud Light Stage. These guys are just getting started (they only have a few EPs out), but they’re going to be big within a year. Check them out before you’re the last on the bandwagon.
- 1:30-2:15 — Alberta Cross (Globili Stage)
- 3:00-3:45 — Jukebox The Ghost (Globili Stage)
- 3:45-4:30 — The Sundresses (Aliveone Stage)
- 4:30-5:15 — A Silent Film (Globili Stage)
- 5:15-6:00 — Imagine Dragons (Bud Light Stage)
- 6:00-7:00 — Manchester Orchestra (Globili Stage)
- 7:00-7:45 — The Bright Light Social Hour (Landor Stage)
- 8:00-8:45 — Kevin Devine (CMC Stage)
- 8:45-9:45 — RJD2 (Bud Light Stage)